Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Story of Sleep

I should probably begin this post with some background information on me and sleep.

For as long as I can remember sleep has been very important to me. If I don't have it I get incredibly irritable, insanely sluggish or freakishly silly and laugh in high pitched squeals for hours. Growing up if my sleep was interrupted by my mom coming in to check on me or the hallway light being switched on or even heaven forbid my sister talking in the room next door I would, how should I say this, express my displeasure in very loud nasty tones.

This need of silent uninterrupted sleep carried into College. When one thinks of College one thinks... all nighters, hanging out with friends until the morning light and so on. I can tell you for a fact that in the four years of college the latest I stayed up to work on a project was 1am... and that was one time. The latest I stayed up on a weekend was 2am. My freshman year I was "that person" who when hearing girls on my floor being loud at 11pm I would knock on each door and try to find who was disturbing me. One fond story took place my sophomore year. I had gone to bed early with ear plugs on and the next thing I know I see my roommate screaming at me. The fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate... needless to say I was again nasty. Can't people understand I need my 9 hours a night!?

Next we have married life and a sweet husband who always thought he'd talk to his wife late into the night and who he'd get to snuggle with as we fell asleep. Well yeah that's not me. He is STILL getting used to it if he disturbs my slumber nasty elisabeth comes out in full force. DONT TALK TO ME IM TRYING TO SLEEP OMG YOU JUST WOKE ME UP.

So that leads to life with a child. I was honestly concerned how I would function without my typical 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I was even more concerned how I would react to a little cute face looking at me needing food at all hours of the night and me being the source of that food having to be somewhat lucid. Thank God I have been doing really well!!! Basically I don't think about the continuous cycle of feedings and 2 hour "naps" at night. Maybe it's because I know this is what I have to do and I do it. Last night was the first time I actually said out loud to friends... "I only sleep 2 hours at a time" HAHAHAHHA and then I lost it in my absurd no sleep laughter. At least I can laugh about it and not let nasty elisabeth out. :)

** Picture is me giving Mikayla her first bath... I give her baths in the morning when I'm still somewhat awake**

No comments: