Thursday, January 24, 2013

Easter Came Early

** DISCLAIMER - I do not condone eating your feelings but sometimes chocolate is just needed **

BACKSTORY:
Saying this week has been challenging is an understatement. I would say this has been one of the most difficult weeks as a parent thus far.

I made the decision not to go places with Nolan and Mikayla after Nolan's birth because of the flu and other sicknesses out there. I wanted to wait until Nolan had his 2 months shots, but by 6 weeks I was going buggy. So we ventured out and Mikayla spent a total of 4 hours in classes while I went to Bible study one day and then to MOPS the other. By Monday of this week Mikayla was miserable with fever, stuffy nose, tearing eyes and a cough.

This is the first time Mikayla has been sick while Nolan has been in our lives and I am not sure if that is the reason this time has been so hard, but wow... I want to live in a cave until Spring!

Mikayla has been so not herself and any and EVERYTHING has set her into sobs... for example during breakfast...

M: I smell something SOB
E: Ok
M: It's your breakfast SOB
E: (eating egg)
M: STOP EATING SOB

or...

E: Mikayla please come sit down for lunch
M: SOOOOOOOOOBBBBBB

and then there is...

E: How about we color?
M: SOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBB

You get the idea. I feel so bad for my little girl, but after a while the sobbing is like nails on a chalkboard. Then add Nolan and his many infant baby needs and it is the perfect storm for mommy madness!

That brings me to today...

I decided we needed to go to the Dr. just to make sure all was ok. Mikayla still not being herself and already having sobbed most of the morning and Nolan sounding a bit stuffy to me. I gave us an hour to get ready and get out of the door on time. We definitely needed that whole hour and the last ten minutes   both kids were screaming.

As I was backing out of the driveway... both kids still crying... I happened to very randomly open up one of the compartments under the radio to set the GPS in and that is when my eyes happened upon the small package of Cadbury mini eggs.

TIME STOOD STILL...

I had strategically placed these eggs (after obtaining them at CVS during a "me time" trip a week ago) into a compartment I never open so one day I would come upon them and have a nice surprise.

Let me tell you... I quietly pulled out those delicious chocolate eggs and after popping one into my mouth everything else faded away. Nolan quieted down... Mikayla quietly stopped her sobbing, I was able to take a deep breath and we had a stress free drive to the Dr. No JOKE! I think these little nuggets of goodness have magic in them.

So I guess the moral to my story... when overwhelmed with motherhood... eat chocolate.

No comments: