Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Piece of Cake

The day started at 6am and it was cold and wet outside. I drove to work in the dark, with the snow and the light of the moon reflecting off of my windshield.
 
The baby hadn’t been awake and so no butterfly kisses were passed between us. Sometimes it’s easier that way, sometimes it’s harder.
 
Walking into the office I remembered the reminder note I was supposed to leave for Dhrumil… to remember his computer. The very thought was just escaping my mind when I stopped dead in my tracks. I had forgotten my own.
 
Now that was a first. I’m the one who doesn’t forget things…
 
No matter, I stepped into one of my company’s glass boxes… a sound proofed room that holds those who need focus. A dry erase board and computer were my only companions. I felt like a fish in a tank. A corporate tank.
 
Sifting through my emails my eyes kept darting to the clock, imagining what was going on at home. Mikayla was now eating an egg, she was now getting dressed, my mom just came and Dhrumil was leaving for work.
 
The workday passed with ease and I was back in my car, though light now the gray of the day was dulling to the senses.
 
Walking into a home where a toddler has been let loose for half a day is still a bit of a shock to me. Taking a deep breath as I surveyed the array of toys that were taking over our small dwelling, the dishes drying on the counter and the books pilled in the corner I made my way into the house.
 
Mikayla was ready for her nap and attached to grandma. Who could blame her? She isn’t even two yet… it’s ok if she wants me to go back to work so she can continue to play. Mommy coming home meant it was time to go to sleep. I wouldn’t be human if I didn’t say I was a little sad not to have her run to me… but how much can one really ask from a toddler?
 
Mikayla asleep, my mom in need of a train to catch. I walked the dog, waiting patiently in the rain while he did his “recreation” as my mom calls it. I call it sniffing every inch of the ground to find a spot unmarked by animal which will then be given the mark of the beast. The rain fell softly on my coat almost as if a mist were enveloping me. I took a moment to clear my head.
 
My thoughts caught me… again… there was a house to straighten, dinner to cook, muffins to bake for work, a daughter to play with and give my undivided attention to, a shower to take. The list was endless. It started to overtake me. Then I saw it… a small piece of cheesecake leftover from the indulgence of the weekend. My mind became silent. Pure joy took over my senses and the want of the day dissolved into the pure decadence only the Cheesecake factory could deliver.  And then the moment was gone.


No comments: