Thursday, January 5, 2012

Through the eyes of a toddler

Have you ever wondered what people look like to an almost 2 year old? Well now you get a chance to dive into the brain of a little munchkin!
 
To preface this awe inspiring discovery…
 
Mikayla loves to read books… whether we are reading to her or she is reading to herself… books are one of her favorite pastimes. It gives me great joy to see her delight in books, especially when she giggles at a favorite part or sits down on the floor and “reads” out loud in nonsensical  sentences.
 
Being one who was part of theatre growing up and who competed in high school reading snap shots of children’s books, I especially enjoy reading in many voices and giving life to the characters. And when I don’t think I can read Jake’s Big Adventure for the tenth time in a row, I give the narrator a new accent and achieve an unspoken goal in my head to top it the next time.
 
But enough about me and how I read… back to the brain of an almost 2 year old! A few months ago I was reading to Mikayla out of a Little Golden Book that used to be mine when I was little. The particular book was a collection of Mother Goose Rhymes and I am not sure what it is about those rhymes… but Mikayla could listen to them over and over again. (on a side note… some of those rhymes are a little PG rated… like the one where the man didn’t say his prayers so the goose threw him down the stairs. Hello! I change the words when I get to that one) I was giving a particular good performance of “sing a song of sixpence a pocketful of rye” when all of the sudden Mikayla pointed to the old woman holding the pie and replied “GeeGee” which is her word for my mom. I paused for a second to which she again pointed to the woman and said “GeeGee.” I asked her if that woman was GeeGee and she replied “YES!” Every time we read that book now she points out GeeGee.

GeeGee!

For Christmas my sister got Mikayla her newest favorite book, Knuffle Bunny. This is an adorable book for Mikayla because she is very attached to her own bunny. Within the past week every time we read the part where the baby and her daddy are in the park she point to a jogging couple and says “Mommy, Dadas” to which I ask her… “that’s mommy and daddy”? “YES!”Hmm maybe she has aspirations of us exercising this year. 
Daddy and Mommy

So there you have it… what we look like through Mikayla’s eyes! Seen any resemblances? 

1 comment:

Liz Danielsen said...

So cute, thanks for sharing. Reading is so good for any of us if we would just take the time. I love books!