Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sprouting Wings

Is my baby girl really 2 months away from being 2 years old!? I now understand how hard it will be to let your child go… with each day I feel I am already having to let go, if only a little. Every time Mikayla says “Mimi do it” a bit of independence shines its way through the baby and brings her that much closer to leaving the nest.

Ok I am sounding a bit melodramatic… it’s not like she will be going to College tomorrow… so I am going to remain in the NOW!

Mikayla’s language skills have been exploding. About a month ago she said her first sentence “Dada do it”  which I missed since I was at work, but oh well. It was cute hearing the story from Dhrumil who was an extremely proud papa.
At the present, though still sounding a bit like Yoda, she has started to say other short sentences. She is also becoming a pro at mimicking words we say (making me double think words such as “crap”) and pointing at an item, proudly saying its name, then looking at us with a huge smile knowing how intelligent she is, but waiting for us to confirm this fact.
Her "CHEESE" face
The one word which Mikayla is having trouble with, or should I say has chosen not to say, is her name. I can’t even remember when, but a while ago she started calling herself Mimi. We are not sure where this came from except when listening to Veggies Tales one day she started saying “ME” and I guess it just turned into Mimi. Anyways this is how our conversation goes…


EB – Point to myself “mommy”
M – “Mommy”
EB – Pointing to Mikayla “Mi”
M – “Mi”
EB - “Kay”
M – “Kay”
EB – “La”
M – “Mimi!!!”
 









I wonder how long that will last? Well we now refer to her as Mimi. Oh one thing… is it just Mikayla or do all toddlers refer to themselves in the 3rd person? In our house this snowballs into Dhrumil and I referring to ourselves, each other and Mikayla in the third person. I have been trying to catch myself lately, but it’s hard not to get caught up in the play of “Mommy is going to make Mimi food and then Mimi is going to eat the food” which Mikayla would then reply “Mimi food eat!”

Mikayla’s loves at the moment:
-          Butterfly kisses given by mommy, and      giving them in return
-          Reading! Still!! 
-          Playing with her kitchen
-          Yogurt! Still!! 
-          Swinging  and sliding at the park (last weekend we spent 20 minutes at the swing!)
-          Trains
-          Christmas lights
-          Her Pop Pop and Gee Gee
-          Running and tumbling with Daddy
-          Stickers
-          Blocks
-          Her stuffed animals (they rotate favor with her)
-          Playing QUEEN, we drape a blanket on her shoulders and she walks around 
           triumphantly while we bow and make trumpet noises to announce her
-          Dancing! Still!!
-          Saying her numbers (usually only in order up to 5 :), letters and colors

The life of a mother of an almost 2 year old? Challenging yet rewarding, exhausting yet rejuvenating, filled with love!
 
Every time I see Mikaya’s precious face, I cannot but marvel at the beautiful little person I helped create. Mikayla is sprouting wings and as tough as it may be for me to let go, I pray I can fully equip her to be ready to fly one day!
Playing Horsey



1 comment:

Jill said...

um, i think your daughter is too cute for her own good. seriously...she is adorable!!

also, i just tagged you in my last blog post, if you want to play along :)