Tuesday, March 19, 2013

One Moment

We were actually ahead of schedule this morning and I couldn't believe it!

My mind never stops nowadays... I guess that is what it is with being a mother. Oh I do miss those moments... many moons ago... where I would stare at my computer during a slow day at work for a good half hour and my brain would just go...

bllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
A picture from my "blah" days
I'd then catch myself not believing the amount of time that went by in blahville and start to think again.

But today my brain goes more like...

What time did Nolan eat did he do a big burp wait did Mikayla have breakfast why didn't Nolan poop yet oh my I have ten minutes to get myself ready wait first let me throw a load in the wash oh dear the dog has to go out didn't Mikayla just wear this shirt where is Nolan's pacifier oh no we have nothing in the house to make for dinner I guess I will have to go to the store but then I will have to take everyone out and I guess I won't use the cart maybe just try the stroller but it has to be at 11:30 because then I will have exactly 30 minutes to make it back home to feed Nolan before he starts to scream and to make sure I get Mikayla down for her nap before we lose that window oh no now I only have 3 minutes to get myself dressed before heading out the door....

You get the idea.

Back to this morning. While my mind was going a thousand miles a minutes, I was excited and happy to be ahead of schedule. I used to be the one who was always early and so I felt almost giddy with delight. I picked Nolan up to put him in his car seat and BOOM... spit up explosion all over my shirt. So goodbye shirt... must find new outfit... now we were roaming into "on time" instead of ahead.

I put Nolan into his car seat, bundled Mikayla up... BOOM... another spit up explosion. Off went my brain... now if I change him it will take me five minutes before I get him back in his seat and when I put him back in he will probably spit up again and then I will have to change him again but if I leave him he isn't that wet I guess I could do that... I started to get a headache going through all of the scenarios while I ran upstairs to grab a burp cloth... running back downstairs my brain was now proceeding to think up ridiculous scenarios such as... ok but if I do leave him a little wet maybe he will get cold and then he could get sick and then he would stop sleeping and then I wouldn't sleep and I couldn't function and then... BOOM my brain stopped.

There was my precious Mikayla rocking Nolan's car seat gently back and forth, a huge smile on her face, singing the song I sing to her every night. Nolan was looking up at her cooing and smiling. This moment made time stop and made the rantings of my crazy brain seem extremely trivial.

I gave them both a kiss and we headed into the van... semi wet shirt and all.



No comments: