Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Far from Pink!

I grew up in a "girl household" What I mean by that is everything seemed to revolve around the women of the house. My dad, though obviously male, seemed to just mesh into our girl world. Or maybe it was that we never really let him escape it?

The "boyish" things that seemed to enter our lives consisted of wiffle ball, love of the METS, silly burp jokes and talk of dad's old cars in college. Other than that dad would watch all of our "girly" movies with us, he would play piano in our ballet classes, try to stop the fights over clothes between my sister and I and run out to buy us certain girl products if the need arose. What can I say, I have a wonderful dad!

I say all this because I never really thought that a boy would enter my life and change it. Ok, yes I knew I would get married, and yes I have changed in many ways because of that... but I mean in the "boyish" way. I guess I always assumed that when I had kids they would be girls and my sister would end up with the boys. It seemed simpler that way... living in a girl's world is comfortable.

Well, my friends. Let's just say when we found out we were having a boy, both Dhrumil and I were shocked. We had gotten so comfortable with a girl that we just assumed we would have another. We chose to find out the gender during a goodbye party our friends threw us and so the shock was not just seen by the two of us, but by all of our friends! :)

It went like this... ultrasound technician wrote down the gender, I delivered the envelope to my friend Alex who was going to make the cupcakes, I dreamt the whole night that the frosting inside would be pink, at the party the next day we bit into the cupcake, it was blue. Mind blank.... WHAT!? And then... what will I do with all of the pink clothes, pink car seat, pink BUMBO!?... I had refused to buy neutral, how dumb of me. And then... WHAT am I going to do with a boy!? I don't really know boys!

Mikayla was very excited to eat the cupcake as you can see in the first picture!
Since that moment the shock has faded a bit. Dhrumil got over becoming a "girl" family and is super excited about a boy. I, well... I was a little bummed that Mikayla wouldn't have a sister right now. But, I, ok, who am I kidding? I am still processing this whole thing. :)

Of course I love the little boy inside of me and cherish every moment I feel him move. I know that it is going to be different, but different is good isn't it? It helps us grow! I can't wait to see how the relationship between this little guy and Mikayla is. I had always wanted a brother and now I get to experience seeing what the relationship is like close up and personal.

One thing is for sure... he will know how to do his own laundry and chores around the house just the same as Mikayla will when she is older!

Bring on the Cars... and whatever else boys like. ;-) I am ready and confident that I can do this!






2 comments:

jennymarie1981 said...

I grew up in a kind of boy family...with two older brothers. I only have four ,oaths of experience...but little boys are the best :)

Margaret said...

I just wanted to say that I can totally relate to the shock. I have a brother, so I can't say I was absolutely clueless but, as you know, Ezra is so amazing! He's independent, always ready for an adventure, jumping everywhere! And when you meet your son for the first time you will be totally in love! They say that girls love their Daddies, but boys belong to their Mamas. I'll be shocked if you're not secretly hoping for another boy one day. ;)