Wednesday, October 24, 2007

NYC has my heart

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss NYC! I wish I was writing in this blog during my 1 1/2 years in the city because I had some pretty interesting stories.

The life of a commuter was one that I experienced for a short while. Before I excepted my job at the college in the Empire State building, I interned for an orchestra in the garment district. I loved passing the big needle threading the button, stopping at Starbucks and then up the strange elevator to the hip office with each desk blaring different classical music pieces.

Once I started at the college and the daily grind of riding the train became a reality... it turned into something not as glamorous:

Packed trains, lots of unique personalities, walking 10 blocks, falling in front of hundreds during rush hour on Madison Ave. (oh yes I did that) trying to walk in a major blizzard, walking in the rain getting soaked and hit by hundreds of umbrellas, staring down taxi drives who I thought were going to kill me, being stranded by a taxi driver and having no clue where I was, smiling at the security guards in the Empire State Building, being asked by tourists from other countries to take their picture in the lobby, riding the elevator and S T O P P I N G on every floor, eating in little Korea town, almost fainting on the train in the midst of many men (yup did that 2 times), working at an office with no window visible, cutting the line to go to the top of the building and leaving really early and getting home really late.

I could go on and on. No matter how much the tourists bothered me or how many bruises I got from people running into me I was always struck by how awesome it was to work in the most famous building in America in one of the most famous cities in the world.

I miss you NYC... oh and I miss the Starbucks on EVERY corner.



No comments: