Thursday, May 7, 2009

Moms

It’s hard not to notice Mother’s Day coming up… the commercials about flowers and cards, the TV programs about moms, the stories and news spotlights and the call I got from my mom on Sunday when she informed me my gift can be to pay for the calla lilies she is planting in her yard. So it was no surprise when I found an article about moms on cnn.com. What caught me about this particular article was the list of questions to ask your mom. I sometimes wondered about these things, but have never taken the time to ask.

1. What’s the one thing you would have done differently as a mom?
2. Why did you choose to be with my father?
3. In what ways do you think I’m like you?
4. Which one of us kids did you like the best?
5. Is there anything you have always wanted to tell me but never have?
6. Do you think it’s easier or harder to be a mother now than when you were raising our family?
7. Is there anything you regret not having asked your mom?
8. What’s the best thing I can do for you right now?
9. Is there anything that you wish had been difference between us – or that you would still like to change?
10. When did you realize you were no longer a child?

I really like number 10… I’ve never thought to ask this, but I myself am always wondering when I will stop feeling like a kid.

When my mom comes for a visit next week I’m going to go out for coffee and ask her these questions… I’m looking forward to hearing the answers!

Happy Mothers Day to my amazing mom and to all my friends who are new moms this year. I’m looking forward to the time when I will join the ranks of the selfless nurturers and hope I can do half the job my mom did with me.

No comments: