Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Bandaide


** I wrote this post a few weeks ago but was so busy with life that I am just now posting it...**

Today I’ve been doing some self evaluation and it’s all because of a snoopy bandaide. For some reason ever since I entered college and started buying my own bandaides I have been drawn to those with cartoon characters on them or patterns and colors. I never really thought much of it until this past week when both Dhrumil and I got cuts. Dhrumil happened by his cut while putting together our new grill and ran to put on a boring tan colored bandaide. Later it became dirty and while getting ready for a black tie event he asked me to grab him a new bandaide. I grabbed the first one that was in our first aide kit and it happened to be one of my snoopy ones… he shrugged, put it on and we went to the event. While there someone pointed out his wound in a “nice bandage” sort of way and the next day at church someone asked, “what happened to your hand?” I had to defend his manhood by stating I was the guilty one who picked Snoopy over tan. Yesterday I cut myself and again the first bandaide I came across was good Ole Snoopy. I was asked at work by a trader, "what did you do to your finger, interesting bandaide…" and then boom it hit me. My fetish with fun wound covers was not because I wished I was 5, but because growing up we never got the “cool” bandaides. No matter how much I asked, my parents would always revert to the tan ones. Little did I know, but I was spouting my newly discovered life mystery to the trader who shrugged and said his kids loved cartoon bandaides, I guess they’ll never struggle with my issues. So the question is… do I buy these bandaides for my future children or do I stay with the more practical and probably cheaper tan and let them discover what I’m discovering now at 27.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree! I use the cartoon bandaides, but I have the tan for my husband. I never used cartoon as a child either...on giving them to your children...tough one...the new tattoo ones out for boys stick REALLY well, so you might give them the fun ones simply so you don't have to replace them every couple of hours. Love the snoopy!