Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Country Living

So I am not sure if you would consider where I live the "country" per se. BUT it does take me twenty minutes to get anywhere and I live smack in the middle of fields so I say it is the country. Actually I believe this whole county in Pennsylvania is just like this... except for the "city" and so I just need to get used to it. Living in Connecticut and being able to go into New York City anytime I wanted has turned me into one major city mouse. Also a local commented on how we are smack in the middle of Amishville... so that is saying how different this area is from where we just moved.

I NEVER thought my heart would ache so for our former home... I guess most of all it is the friends and also the familiarity that I miss most.

Here is what I have learned so far about living in the "country"

This road is a mile from our house

- If you open the door for a SECOND 10 flies will come in. I have become QUITE the expert in killing them with a wad of newspaper. So much so that Mikayla now says... "mommy will get that with a paper"

- If you sleep with the windows open... be prepared to be awaken by the smell of animal poo. The other night both Dhrumil and I woke up at 3am and said to each other "AHHHH WHAT IS THAT SMELL, IT IS DROWNING ME" we tried to cover our noses with the blankets and that wouldn't even help... not pleasant.

- You have to plan to leave a little early wherever you go least you get stuck behind a... buggy, horse and large wagon, tractor... any kind of farm machinery.

- It is beautiful seeing the scenery here every day... especially the Amish working in the fields or the hot air balloons drifting over our house.

- There is produce at the end of almost every farm's driveway for DIRT cheap... now I just need to carry cash around.

- Following a GPS on country roads is not fun... the turns come quick and I have turned around in many an Amish driveway... or maybe it's called horseway ;-)

That's all I have for now. We are adjusting as much as we can for having been here only 6 weeks. This past weekend we experienced seeing Thomas the Train and also the whoopie pie festival which is where we saw the world's largest whoopie pie... What is a whoopie pie you ask? Pieces of cake with icing in the middle which amish women made "popular" when they created these treats with leftover cake. These people are serious about their whoopie pies and the were leaving the festival with BAGS full of these things.
Excited to be on Thomas!
Mikayla and Dhrumil's favorite thing to do... puzzles!
There he is!
First encounter
And this is why I gained 6 pounds my first month in PA....



No comments: