Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Night Visitor

Last night something happened that I pray will never happen again...

Let me preface this story with information about myself. Ever since I was a little girl I would randomly jump out of my bed, after being dead asleep, and run to the other side of the room. I was always convinced that a bug or rodent of some sort was in my bed. With racing heart I would turn the lights on, creep back to my bed (now fully awake) do a quick search and realize it was just a dream or a freak out or whatever you want to call it. Marrying Dhrumil hasn't stopped this and he has had to get used to my random running out of bed and turning on the light.

Well last night, my dear friends, the almost 30 years of running has not been in vain!

It was about 2:30am and I had just gotten up to use the restroom. After coming back to the room I decided to adjust the window fan to a lower speed and I then jumped back in bed ready to fall asleep. After falling asleep for a moment I found myself sitting straight up because because of a soft banging sound I heard... like the blinds hitting the window. I thought that it might have been how I adjusted the fan and I stared at the window. It was dark and my glasses were off, but I was able to distinguish a shadow crawling up the blinds, back down and back up. 

Mind you, this was no ordinary shadow of a moth or a spider... no this was MUCH larger!!

Feeling slightly ill I shook Dhrumil awake and told him something huge was crawling up our window. Of course he didn't believe me at first, because as I said above, I tend to wake up and say things like this. I told him that it was huge and he needed to get it and at this point I was shaking like a leaf and I felt like I was going to puke. I jumped out of bed, put the light on and shut the door. 

All of the sudden I hear something of a battle going on inside of our bedroom. It sounded like a pillow fight, but on a massive scale. Then it sounded like Dhrumil was wrestling with a killer and his breathing got very loud. I looked down to see the roll of paper towel I was clutching to help Dhrumil squash whatever type of bug was in there would not do the trick. While I listed to the battle within, I prayed Mikayla wouldn't wake up and then I started to giggle... because, why not? 

Dhrumil ran out of the room, shutting the door behind him and told me it was a bat. At the point I started to shake again and feel like I was going to puke. He said he needed to figure out something he could put it in because he had knocked it down and it was now laying on our bed.

I then started to cry for the bat, the poor innocent creature... in my tears I said "how could you kill it!?" Dhrumil looked at my with eyes filled with the terrors of battle and said "you are worried about the BAT?!"

He then proceeded to run back into the room, wrap it up in our duvet ,and as I cowered in the other room, he it ran outside. I then heard a shake of the blanket and a bang of the door and all was silent.

Dhrumil told me it flew away. He also told me that he had been hitting it with our pillows and anything else he could find while in the bedroom. Willoughby... our brave hunting dog... watching on seated in his cozy bed while Dhrumil tried to tame the wild beast all on his own.

My brave husband... triumphant from what had just happened admitted that he had been freaked out by the whole thing. I replied that he was just that much closer to being Bat Man!

It was hard to fall asleep after that... thinking things were crawling on us. My duvet cover and pillow cases are in the wash as we speak. I guess the bat had crawled through our window somehow.

One thing is for sure... Dhrumil will now take all of my jumping out of bed serious for now on!

1 comment:

Jill said...

ahhhh! that is terrifying! my mom and dad once lived in a house that had a bat detector...it sensed their radar or something crazy like that.

i was always terrified it would go off! :)

i'm glad you survived, ElisaBeth!